Netflix pioneered what entertainment streaming services can be. With 139 million subscribers worldwide, it offers popular movies and TV shows as well as original programming like Stranger Things and House of Cards. While being able to stream TV and movies from almost anywhere is awesome, if you have kids, some of the content may not be appropriate for them. So what are you, as a busy parent, supposed to do when your kids want to stream their favorite movies and tv shows, but you don’t want them watching mature content? Netflix parental controls allow parents to let their kids stream within acceptable limits.
These are the very basic things you can do to limit what your children can watch on Netflix.
Set Up A Kid’s Profile
You are able to set up multiple profiles on a singular Netflix account. Creating a separate account for your child and setting content limits based on ratings. This will make sure your kid can choose what they want to watch and you know it will be appropriate for them.
How To Set Up a Kid’s Profile On Netflix
Most devices allow you to create and manage profiles right from whatever device you are streaming from. However older devices might require a pin or for you to manage profiles on the website.
- Open Netflix App
- Go to Manage Profiles
- Go to Create New Profile (The Plus Sign)
- Click or tap on the checkbox that says “Kid”
On Your Computer
- Log onto Netflix
- Click on Manage Profiles
- Go to on Create New Profile (The Plus Sign)
- Click on the checkbox that says “Kid”
- From here you can click on the drop box to determine content for an older or younger child
These “soft controls” are good for most kids, but if your kid chooses to watch from another profile, the restrictions will not work and they could be exposed to mature content.
If you want to better restrict content by rating or even by specific show or movie (regardless of rating) you can do so on the Netflix website by enabling a pin code access. You can set a pin code access across the account level. This means that all profiles in the account will be affected.
How To Set Maturity Content Pin Code Controls
- Log onto Netflix website
- Go to Account
- Click the link for Parental Controls in the Settings Section
- Enter 4 numbers (no letters) into the field. This will be your pin number.
- Make sure to set your pin protection option from one of the following:
- Little Kids – ALL
- Older Kids – 7+, some 13+
- Teens – 13+
- Adults – 16+, 18+
How To Block Specific Movies and TV Shows On Netflix
Whether you don’t approve of the content or you just can’t watch another episode of Caillou without pulling your hair out, you can also block specific tv or movies from being watched regardless of the rating.
- Access your Account page from a web browser.
- Select the link for Parental controls in the Settings section.
- Enter your Netflix account password and select Continue.
- If you do not already have a PIN, enter four numbers into the PIN field (no letters) – this will be your PIN.
- Set PIN protection for a specific title by typing the title in the “enter show or movie name” box and clicking on the title when it appears.
- Select Save.
Netflix can be a great app for kids and parents, as long as you use Netflix parental controls. Kids can enjoy their favorite shows while parents can enjoy some peace and quiet. If you are worried about the amount of time your kids are spending in front of Netflix, you can set limits on their screen time depending on what device they are streaming from using the device settings or by just taking it away after a set period of time.
For more information on how to keep kids safe when using smart devices, check out this article.